Sunday 15 April 2012

Symptom 2 - Part 2: First trip to the Hospital

Following on from Symptom 2 - Part 1 blog, I arrived at the Ruber International Hospital on Thursday 1st March. This appointment had been made the same day by my DR.

I went up to the Neurology unit and within about 15 minutes, I was talking with one of the consultant neurologists who also had another DR doing some on the job training.

The DR started asking questions about my current symptoms (the numbness being only one one side of my face, neck and by now, upper shoulder.
He asked if it was also affecting my left ear - it wasn't, and then asked about any other hospital trips or symptoms.
Not being sure if it was related or not, I told him about the shadow in my peripheral vision that had already cleared up some 6 months earlier.
I could see he was zeroing in on a theory, but still I had to take my shirt off and cough whilst he listened to my chest and my breathing.

After a while, he excused himself and he and the trainee went out to consult amongst themselves.

About 10 minutes later, the Neurologist came back in by himself. He went through the symptoms I'd got and then, when I asked him what his initial diagnosis was, he wrote demylineating disease.
Not knowing what this was, he started to describe the myelin sheath and its role in nerve protection and signal conductivity.

When I still looked a bit blank, I mean, I understood what he was talking about, but not in how it related to me as a condition or disease, he then said I had probably got Multiple Sclerosis, but that other tests would be required, including a Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
At this stage, I was feeling a little disconnected from reality - not exactly shocked, not glum or depressed, but felt as if the DR hadbeen talking to someone else.

The MRI was arranged, but first, 'administration' was required. I had to go downstairs and pay a deposit (I think a few hundred Euros).
Then back upstairs to be fitted into a beautiful gown...  :D

Casper the bewildered ghost.



Before the MRI, a blood test was done so that viral infections could ruled out, and then I went to the MRI room, gown a-gaping.

The MRI was not too bothersome, a bit noisy and of course, keeping still for 20 minutes was a minor challenge, helped by me trying to count 1200seconds...actually it seemed a lot quicker than this before I was slid back out.
Then my left hand was injected with something, the assistant told me it was a contrast enhancer, and then I was back in for another 20 minutes or so. Again, trying to focus on counting to 1200 without your attention wondering and mis-counting...meant that I'd only reached something like 950 and I was back out again.

Back again to the room I'd been assigned to wait on results which didn't take too long.
After about 20 minutes, a different DR arrived.
He started to tell me the results of the blood tests were in (definitely not a viral infection) and that he now also had seen the MRI results which revealed about 4 or perhaps 5 small lesions. One of which was affecting the Trigeminal Nerve and appeared to be the source of the numbness I was experiencing on the left side of my face.

All of which meant that these successive results were re-inforcing the original suggested diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis.

The DR then said to me that, following the MRI confirmation of the original diagnosis, that I was to be booked in for an overnight stay, chest X-Rays and also a Lumbar Puncture.

Meanwhile, I was to go home, prepare an overnight back and come back to the hospital on Friday to stay that night.

I called my work to let them know that I wouldn't be in today (Thursday) and that I was back to the hospital again tomorrow morning and I would let them know when I found out anything else.

I went home and discussed everything with my wife Mitra, who was at the time, 8 months pregnant (due date of 4th April). Of course, she was very shocked and I was still feeling somewhat divorced from reality.
We agreed though, that no matter what changes might come about as a result of the MS, we would be more than capable of maintaining our lives together, our relationship, our family unit, which was shortly due to increase by one.

2012 looked like it was going to turn into one of the rather important years in my life, for more than one or two reasons.
  1. Our daughter Ava would be born - earlier than the due date because a Caesarean would be necessary and we already have a two year old son (Kian).
  2. It was looking like I had been diagnosed with MS
  3. We are due to move back from Madrid to the UK (September 2012).
    1. Which would mean selling our current home in Ayr and buying a new one in Southampton
    2. Which also meant that along with everything being packed here, we are going to have to rent a new place first (furnished), then buy a new palce, and move all our belongings back from storage.
    3. Need to find a new job!
  4. And my Mom had also recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

Phew!


No comments:

Post a Comment